Willing

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.










By: Rachelle Rea


John 6:21, "Then they were willing…." (NIV)



     The water is roilng. The boat is being tossed from side to side. The disciples are getting nauseous and beginning to regret that they ever attempted this voyage. To make matters worse, the sun has set and the disciples are swathed in darkness. They can’t even tell how close to the shore they are. All seems lost as they struggle against the storm.


Then they see a man. He’s in the middle of the lake and…

…Walking…on…water.


Can’t you just see their jaws drop and their hands go limp on the oars? If there had been any light, the blood leaving their faces would surely have been visible.


At first, they didn’t realize it was Jesus. So he identified Himself, saying,


“It is I; don’t be afraid.” John 6:20


Then, when they knew who He was, their attitude changed. All fear fell away.


“Then they were willing to take him into the boat…” John 6:21


Only once they knew who Jesus was did the disciples invite Him in.


And because they allowed Jesus to tell them who He really is, and invited Him into their boat, their entire course changed. The storm did not turn out the victor. They safely reached land.   

“…and immediately the boat reached the shore where they were heading.” John 6:21


I wonder what would happen if  I would acknowledge who Jesus is and invite Him into my life, into the nitty-gritty details, the things I don’t like, and the places where discomfort rules.


Would I be forever changed?


Would my life ever be the same?


If I invited Jesus into my boat, would I ever again flounder around in the middle of the lake, hopeless, helpless, and afraid of the stranger who is walking on the water?



“It is I; don’t be afraid,” He whispers.



Will you be willing, as the disciples were, to listen to Him, admit He is who He says He is, and invite Him to step into my boat?


Lord, You are the King of Kings, the Christ, the Living God! Heavenly Father, I’m a bit afraid to let you see all the messy corners in my life, but right here, right now…I want You to know that I’m willing. In Jesus' name, Amen.



GO DEEPER:
Ponder: 


“You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in You. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord is the Rock eternal.”

 Apply:


Scribble a prayer, committing to letting Jesus into your boat.

Read:

by Alex and Brett Harris

 Share:

What is the stormy lake that your boat is being tossed on right now?




Rachelle Rea, Rad Rev Devotion & Article Writer
A college freshman, Rachelle Rea coaches gymnastics at her local YMCA. She loves blogging, walking, chocolate, and diving into a good book. Though she’s never been in a stormy lake, she has had to wrestle with the to-be-or-not-to-be-willing question (more often than she would like to admit!). Since she has invited Jesus into her boat, the water hasn’t completely quieted, but she can knows the shore is near and He is with her.

For more from Rachelle, visit her blog at www.rosesdaringadventure.blogspot.com.




Living with Purpose: A Radical Revolution ∙ A Ministry of Lynn Cowell
www.RadRevolution.org ∙ Lynn@LynnCowell.com

© 2011-2012 by Proverbs 31 Ministries




2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My stormy sea right now is making new friends, if that counts.

Blogger Rachelle said...

That totally counts, and I've been in that sea a couple times myself!

I pray that God would send you the perfect friend!

Warmly,
Rachelle Rea

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits