All Is Not Lost

This Website Has Moved

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://RadRevolution.com
and update your bookmarks.

Last year, my family went through a stressful time. Sensing we could use a vacation, an elderly couple from our church loaned us the use of their cabin. Located in the mountains, this cabin was a beautiful spiritual retreat.

Along with the loan came a few pages of instructions. These were basic instructions that explained how to use the appliances, where to buy groceries, and even a solemn warning about keeping up with the keys.

After we had settled into the cabin, a light rain began to fall. Rain is rain anywhere but this mist was too beautiful to ignore. Tripping over each other, my family raced outside.

We stood on the porch and admired the beauty around us. When the rain began to fall harder, we retreated back to the cabin.

Or at least, we tried to.

In our haste to marvel at the rain, the door locked behind us and the keys were left inside.

It probably wasn't the best time to laugh, but looking around at the soaked faces of my family, I couldn't help myself. I laughed, not the gentle chuckle that comes when someone makes a witty remark. No, this was an all out, clutching-my-sides-tears-streaming-down-my-face laughter.

What I found so funny was that the thick packet of instructions had warned about such a scenario. The owner of the cabin had carefully stated: “If you are locked out, all is not lost”.

Through my laughter, I reminded my family of this statement. Usually a jovial bunch, my family did not join my giggles. Instead, they glared sourly at me and called a nearby neighbor.

Maybe you've been locked out in the rain, too. Remember that cloud of depression you felt stuck under? Or the day you heard that terrifying diagnosis? How about the moment you learned a loved one was in an accident?

Any number of things can leave us feeling like we’re stuck out in the rain, unprotected from the element of pain and heartache.

Yes, dear sister, you’ve stood where I stood that day. But let me encourage you that all is not lost. As dark as the days feel, you are not alone.

In John 16:33, Jesus told his friends, “…In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Jesus didn’t tell his friends that they might have a bad day or they might encounter a rough spot.

He told them that trouble was coming but he promised that he had already overcome anything they would face!

Whatever you’re dealing with today, you can find joy and peace because Jesus overcame not just the world and the grave but also won the victory over depression, over sickness, over grief, over shame, over abuse. Since Jesus triumphed on the Cross, our pain doesn’t have to defeat us!

What Jesus said to his disciples is the same thing I said that day in the rain, “All is not lost.”

Go Deeper

Ponder: “No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.” - Romans 8:37 New Living Translation

Apply: Choose a Bible verse to be your victory verse. Memorize this verse so you can carry it with you in the hard times.


Share: Where in your life do you need victory?

Debra Weiss is a twenty something writer and speaker passionate about helping teen girls grow closer to God through their pain. Find out more about Debra on her website.

Labels:



6 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

This is very encouraging to me. I struggle with on and off depression. Next time I'm struggling, I will remember that all is not lost.

Blogger Debra Weiss said...

Hey Emily!

I'm glad you found comfort here. Depression is a hard thing to deal with and God didn't intend for our lives to be solo flights.

You are not alone. Lots of people deal with depression - and it really helps to get a support system in place.

You could start by talking to a trusted teacher at school, your parents, or a youth group leader.

Please don't deal with this on your own. This is why God gave us the church - because He wanted us to be able to support and love each other in the tough stuff.

I'll be praying for you, sweet sister.

Blogger Lynn Cowell said...

Debra,

Loved this encouragement! Thanks Debra!

Blogger Emily said...

Thank you! And God has placed many people in my life who I am able to talk to, and I am so greatful!

Blogger Debra Weiss said...

Lynn, thank you! I had fun writing this devotional. :)

Blogger Debra Weiss said...

Emily, that is awesome! I'm glad you have supportive people in your life. There's a lot of research that shows people deal with things better when they feel like they have a solid support system in place which is sounds like you do. Keep us updated on your progess, Emily, and please let us know how we can continue to pray for you. :)

Post a Comment

Home

contact
about
links
search
recent
archives
miscellaneous
credits